Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Book Review: Between You and Me

Last week I was super excited when I saw a tweet by @EmmaNicola, the Twitter account for authors Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus.  I absolutely LOVE their books. Their book The Nanny Diaries is literally one of my favorite books of all time. They posted about looking for bloggers to read and review their new book Between You and Me that just came out yesterday and I was unbelievably thrilled to do this!

The book highlights the events that occur when Logan Wade,  the cousin of a famous singer named Kelsey, is called by Kelsey's assistant to visit her, even though they have not been in contact for years. Despite the tension that exists between Logan and her aunt and uncle, Michelle and Andy, Logan becomes Kelsey's assistant and is quickly pulled into the ins and outs of her celebrity lifestyle.

I honestly was so hooked on this book and dying to know what happened next that I read 140 pages without putting it down! I am a big reader, but even that is a first for me! I finally realized that it was really late and I had to work the next day, otherwise I think I would have read the whole book in one sitting, haha.

The book was really interesting and showed the sides of being a celebrity that we don't often hear as much about: dealing with managers, being chased by paparazzi, dealing with tabloid rumors, and handling pushy parents who try to make Kelsey's decisions for her. Parts of the book were a little sad as Kelsey dealt with various struggles, but I liked the relationship between Logan and Kelsey because I got a real sense of how much Logan cares for her cousin.

I also liked how the reader did not get a lot of background information in the beginning and learned much more about the characters and their relationships as the book progressed.  Maybe that is why I read so much so quickly--I couldn't wait to find out more!

Overall, I really liked this book for its intriguing story with fascinating characters, insight into celebrity life and family secrets. I finished reading it with a smile on my face and would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good read!

2 comments:

poptartyogini said...

I've never read this nanny diaries but have only heard good things. I'll add between you and me to my ever growing 'to read' list. I pray to be independently wealthy so I have the time and money to buy books and read all day!

Elle Hattan said...

I love the nanny diaries so thank you for telling me about this book! I added it to my Goodreads shelf and can't wait to find it! :)

Post a Comment