Monday, August 22, 2011

Meet the Teacher Monday!

This week I am linking up with Blog Hoppin' for Teacher Week! Today's topic is meet the teacher! This is the first link up I've ever done, since I'm pretty new to blogging and I'm really excited!


Me! :)


Tell us a little something about you...
This is my newly started blog! I just started it about a week ago-- perfect timing for Teacher Week!  

How long have you been teaching?
This will be my fourth year of teaching and I'm so excited for another year to begin! I teach 6th grade, which is part of elementary school where I live and I love that age! The kids are funny and interested in a lot of different topics. They love doing projects and fun science experiments. I teach at a fantastic school with the BEST co-workers! 

You might not know...
I did not always plan on being a teacher! In fact, it did not really become a goal of mine until late into my college career (i.e. after it was too late to change my major!)


I went to college at James Madison University and was very involved in the theatre department, majoring in Theatre and Dance. I loved being involved in the department in different ways: acting, managing, directing, scenery, stage makeup, costumes, and play-writing , but I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do as far as a career.



My fabulous friend from college, Kim!! She's a great friend, dancer, choreographer and teacher! :) I love her!

Becoming a teacher had been in the back of my mind for awhile, but it wasn't until I went on an Alternative Spring Break trip during my senior year of college that it really became clear to me. My group went to Chicago and spent the week working in inner-city schools and after-school programs. I absolutely loved working with the kids, who were so sweet and eager to learn. I loved meeting the teachers and hearing about their experiences--it was such a great opportunity for me to be able to help the students and gain insight into what I wanted to do with my life post-college...


After I graduated from JMU, I started a graduate program in elementary education. After a year and a half, I was a licensed teacher and got a teaching job for the upcoming school year.  In addition to teaching, during my first year as a teacher,  I took two classes to earn my master's degree in elementary education. That was an incredibly busy year with absolutely no social life (sad but true!), but it was so worth it!

GREAT day! :) Love it!


What are you looking most forward to this school year?

I'm looking forward to starting another school year! Every year that I have been a teacher has been  fun, different, and rewarding.  I am always so excited to start the school year again! Last year, I was so excited to go back for our first teacher workday before school began that I could not sleep at ALL the night before! (Haha, that sounds ridiculous, but I just couldn't wait to be back!) I always love getting to catch up with my co-workers, meet my new students, and beginning another great year!


What teaching supplies can you *not* live without?

- My Smartboard- I love it! :)


2 comments:

Katie @ Miss Klohn's Classroom said...

Yeah for finding another 6th grade teacher! We are at the middle school though! I just got an interactive board this year and I am so excited to use it!

I am your newest follower!

missklohnsclassroom.blogspot.com

Ashlee said...

You sound like me getting so excited the night before back to school time and not being able to sleep! Haha!

Post a Comment