Saturday, November 19, 2011

Help the Homeless Walk 2011

Bright and early this morning (I actually woke up earlier for this than I normally do for work--ahh!!), I went with my older sister to participate in the annual Help the Homeless walk in Washington D.C.. It was QUITE chilly this morning, so we bundled ourselves up and prepared for a cold charity walk!

We took the Metro in and got to the registration area about 15 minutes before the walk was scheduled to start--not bad! :)

We took a few pictures to occupy ourselves before the walk began.... (it didn't start until about 20 minutes after it was supposed to--ugh!! People were not thrilled to be waiting in the cold, windy weather! Brr!)


Why yes, I was going for the "fluffy marshmallow" look today...haha
Strike a pose!

A sister photo shoot is always a good cure for boredom caused by waiting...and really, that guy behind me looks PISSED to be there, haha!

Before the race began, I was super excited to get my picture taken with the Washington Redskins Hogettes, which was awesome!! (If you are a Redskins fan or are from the DC area, you'll understand why this is a big deal!! :) ) They were so nice! And their costumes--hilarious!

It worked out perfectly that I just happened to be wearing my Redskins hat! :)

The weather was bright and sunny and once we started walking, we warmed up pretty quickly! The actual walk (2.5 miles) seemed to go quickly and people were moving at a decent pace...It's always fun walking around DC and seeing the sights. The walk route took us right by the new Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, which was REALLY cool to see! I'd definitely recommend seeing it if you are in D.C..



Waiting for the walk to start!
Insert inappropriate joke by me about how the monument might be tilting HERE..yeahhh, probably too soon still for earthquake jokes...haha..

Enjoying the sights as we walk!

MLK Memorial
His statue up close..very impressive!



All in all, it was a fun morning and was a great way to give back to the community and help the homeless, so we were both happy we were able to attend! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment