Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Help



One of my favorite books that I read this summer is an awesome book called The Help. (I'm guessing you might have heard about it ! ;) ) It is written by Kathryn Stockett and I cannot recommend it highly enough! It looks long and daunting at first (over 500 pages), but it is a book you will not be able to put down once you start reading! Someone at my work told me about the book earlier in the year and I had been meaning to read it, but hadn't had the time until the summer. I think I read it in about 3 days--seriously, you won't be able to stop reading it!

The book shows the perspectives of several black maids living in Jackson, Missisisspipi in 1962. A young white woman named Skeeter, who is friends with the women who employ the maids, starts working at a newspaper in Jackson. Soon after, she decides to secretly interview the maids on their experiences and turns it into a book. 

It also is a movie and I loved the movie as well! On Saturday, I saw it with my friends Tabitha and LaDonna. I was anxious and excited to see how the producers would adapt the book into a movie, because it is a book that goes very in-depth into the lives of the characters and I wasn't sure how that would translate to the big screen.

I have a love/hate relationship with books being turned into movies. Sometimes they
 are just as fabulous as the original book (The Notebook), and sometimes the movies are a disappointment that do not do the book justice (The Devil Wears Prada).


One of the greatest movies ever made!

I put in a picture of the book because it's way better than the movie..I've read it so many times, I can't even pretend to count!


But I was beyond impressed with the movie version of The Help. The acting was so good, especially Viola Davis, who plays the maid Aibileen, one of the main characters of the book. Parts of it were hilarious and parts of it were very touching..(Bring tissues if you are prone to crying in movies!)

As the final credits were rolling, I thought to myself, "That is the best movie that I have seen all summer, besides Harry Potter of course". Then I remembered it is the ONLY movie that I have seen this summer besides Harry Potter--haha! Apparently, I need to get out more...;) :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment